Sunday, July 15, 2007

Meanwhile, back at the riverside.





After the excitement of last week's Osprey chick ringing it was going to be hard to follow that up but I think I managed to do it despite not having the photographic evidence to prove it.

While walking the dog by the river one morning I found myself looking at a Kingfisher perched on a branch just above the water level, about 10 yards in front of me. It quickly cottoned on to the fact that it was being observed and flew off within a matter of seconds, it's bright blue body flashing across the water. I also saw it the following morning but from a much greater distance and it will be quite a challenge to get some photos of it.

Another bird which has proved elusive for the last couple of years is the Barn Owl but we saw one of these in the distance whilst walking round farmland adjacent to our house one evening last week. I am also fairly certain that I saw an Osprey flying over the garden one afternoon.

Although I failed to capture the Kingfisher on film I saw this dipper on the opposite bank and grabbed a few shots. The bird wasn't as close as I would have liked it to be so the pictures are not as clear as they could have been.

No comments: